Career Level Manager
Experience 8 Years +
Head of Offshore Wind Development
Head of Offshore Wind Development
Edinburgh, Durham, London or based remotely with travel
Applications close 7th March 2021
Reporting to the Director of Offshore Wind & Ireland, the Head of Offshore Wind will provide strong and clear direction, leadership and coaching to a team of 6, with ultimate accountability for the development budget and the value creation (the “P&L”) of the offshore wind business in the UK and Ireland, which includes:
• Overall responsibility for securing investment approval.
• Delivery of multiple offshore wind projects across the UK through their development and delivery phases, until handover to Asset Operations.
• Ownership of the investment case for projects until handover to Asset Operations.
• Focus on M&A and sell down for offshore wind projects.
A key facet of the role will be to ensure that EDF Renewables builds best in class development and delivery activities drawing expertise and support from the horizontal functions (e.g. Finance, HR, Technology) to help deliver business results to support our ambitious plans
As a senior leader, not only within the Offshore Wind Team, but as part of the broader EDF Renewables Leadership Team , the successful candidate will provide key contributions to the organisational performance through high value investments drawing on their ability to identify and mitigate risk to successful project delivery, both expected and unexpected.
Day to day:
• Ensure that projects are delivered in accordance with applicable Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) policies and procedures.
• Accountable for the delivery of business development activities on the basis of the strategy agreed with shareholders, including identifying or acquiring sites, submitting applications, managing projects through the early development process and eventual sell down of the asset.
• Ensure that due diligence processes for acquisition opportunities or divestments are completed leading to clear investment decision proposals.
• Provide leadership at every stage of offshore wind projects to focus team efforts on successful delivery.
• Organise the team to ensure that all activities are appropriately resourced and managed effectively. Manage the well-being and development of team members. Actively recruit and develop and empower the team.
• Establish and manage project governance processes for each project to ensure compliance, all risks are identified and mitigated, key documentation is obtained and to facilitate the decision making process at project gateways.
• Own the investment case of offshore wind projects up to handover to Asset Operations.
• Manage financial evaluations of investments in relation to acquisitions or developments, and project cash-flow modelling for the purpose of obtaining and evaluating project financing.
• Manage and control any budget and costs associated with the role including the approved budget for each project liaising with the finance and construction teams.
• Build relationships with key external stakeholders (e.g. senior civil servants) to raise the profile of EDF Renewables offshore wind and influence decision making on offshore wind projects.
The Head of Offshore Wind will be able to demonstrate excellent management and influencing skills combined with technical insight and advice from the Renewables (Wind) Industry.
You will have experience in a senior leadership role with an ability to work in and manage activities across a rapidly evolving and growing business with the ability to work with suppliers, stakeholders and customers.
Whilst navigating easily between a wide range tasks will be integral to this role so will strong analytical skills and a continuous improvement mind set.
What does being a great Head of Offshore Wind Development mean at EDF RUK mean?
• Strong Leadership: You’re able to provide clear direction to your teams in an evolving landscape, with a focus on developing those within your teams helping to build their skills and competencies
• Curiosity & Analytical Thinking: You’re able to gain an understanding of what the data and the business is telling you and generate customer insights and solutions from this.
• Planning & Prioritising You have a structured plan for the required works that is achievable and communicated to stakeholders, and you keep track of progress ensure progress is shared with the business.
• Create The Right Solution: You challenge established practices and identify better ways to meet the business’ needs.
• Telling The Story: You can effectively articulate the problem and explain why you are solving it. You can provide data that supports this and are able to explain the solution that has been chosen.
• Implementation: You proactively follow through on your activities and projects to deliver a high quality outcome without loose ends.
• Previous offshore wind development experience is essential, ideally including early stage development, planning and pre-construction optimisation.
• Significant experience of leading and motivating teams.
• Experience of being involved in mergers and acquisitions.
• Previous exposure to construction phase of projects, ideally in a leadership role.
• Strong financial knowledge and excellent analytical mind with ability to understand key business drivers.
• Strong track record of producing and presenting accurate financial appraisal and risks analysis for investment in generation assets.
• Understanding of the project life-cycle and key project risks for different renewable generation technologies.
• Understanding of accounting and finance in the context of capital investment projects and investment appraisal.
Why EDF Renewables?
We’re proud to be an inclusive, disability confident employer and recognise the importance of employee well-being, and although these roles are advertised on a full-time basis as standard, flexible working arrangements will be considered.
We’re about the people who work with us and we celebrate their diversities and embrace the value that their differences bring. We believe that a culture of inclusion forms the basis of a truly sustainable business and is vital to shaping a strong and fresh-thinking organisation, with a number of employer networks and benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Recruiting from the widest possible pool of talent, we assess every potential employee against our four key behaviours – Integrity, Inclusion, Inspiration and Impact. We make sure that our workforce is a true reflection of our communities and customers. Their unique perspectives not only give us a better understanding of customers from all walks of life, but bring fresh ideas too.